Chief External Affairs Officer & VP
2022 Visionary Leadership Award
Liver Health Foundation is pleased to honor Mr. Thomas Mone as the recipient of 2022 Visionary Leadership Award at our signature even, “Salute to Excellence Dinner Gala,” on September 30th. Please join us as we celebrate Mr. Mone’s extraordinary accomplishments during the past 22 years at the helm of OneLegacy.
Through Mr. Mone’s efforts thousands of lives have been saved and millions of Californians have joined the team of organ donors. He has tirelessly promoted organ, tissue, and eye donations. He is an unmistakable and familiar face in the community events, always offering support and hope to those who are awaiting transplantation.
Since 2000, Tom Mone has led OneLegacy, the country’s largest organ recovery agency, serving 20 million people, 200+ hospitals and 10 transplant centers. In 2021, OneLegacy recovered 591 organ donors, 1,688 organs for transplant; doubling organ donation and tripling tissue donation since Tom arrived at OneLegacy.
Under Mr. Mone’s leadership, OneLegacy developed and was the first Organ Procurement Organization in the world to implement:
* Electronic donor records and web-based organ placement systems
* Real-time nucleic acid testing of all organ donors
* The Donate Life California DMV-linked Registry
* The Living Donation California Referral program
* Donor coordinator role specialization
* Multi-lingual family care staff and paid media advertising
* The world’s largest tissue recovery program
* The world’s largest public promotion of donation by creating the Donate Life Rose Parade Float that has 100+ national and international partners, seen by 30 million+ people each year, with as many as 900 million “Impressions” each year
* The world’s largest and most sophisticated Donor Recovery centers in Redlands and Azusa
OneLegacy’s annual performance metrics in the past 22 years shows the impact of Mr. Mone’s visionary leadership:
• Increased Deceased Brain-Dead Donor Authorization from 40% to 75%,
• Increased Organ Donors from 264 to 557, Increased Tissue Donors from 900 to 3,000
• Increased Lives saved via organ transplant from 800 to 1,661 annually
• Developed free-standing Transplant Donor Recovery ORs/Center
• Developed digitalDonor Electronic Donor Record
• Grown OneLegacy from 50 to 350 staff
• Reduced organ costs by 24%
• Grown OneLegacy Net Assets from $7 million to $143 million
We salute Mr. Mone for his unparralled service to our community, for raising awareness of the importance of organ and tissue donations, and for his unwavering dedication to patients.